A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved, a new one arose.
Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to boil. In the first she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the last she placed ground coffee beans. She let them sit and boil, without saying a word.
In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl. Turning to her daughter, she asked, "Tell me, what do you see?"
"Carrots, eggs, and coffee," she replied.
Her mother brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. The mother then asked the daughter to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard boiled egg. Finally, the mother asked the daughter to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma.
The daughter then asked, "What does it mean, mother?"
Her mother explained that each of these objects has faced the same adversity...boiling water. Each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak.
The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water. "Which are you?" she asked her daughter.
"When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?"
Dandelions are ignored or attacked, never nurtured or cared for, and yet they always bloom profusely. They demand no pampering or special attention to yield their bright blossoms; they pop up in fields, in lawns, and between cracks in the sidewalk, even in the best neighborhoods. Can you imagine trying to grow them in a garden? They’d sneak through the boundaries and pop their sunny yellow faces up in the surrounding lawn. They would never stay put!
Christians should be more like dandelions. Our sunny yellow faces should be a reminder that simple faith has deep roots that are impossible to dislodge. Our vast number would show the world that even though we are not fancy or pampered we are evident everywhere, even in the best neighborhoods.
- Author Unknown
TOP TEN SIGNS THE N.S.A. IS WATCHING YOU 7/24/14
10. You find a Spying Permit nail to your front door.
9. There's a robin on the front lawn wearing night-vision goggles.
8. Free "NSA is Watching You" T-shirt mysteriously appears in your mail box.
7. The eyes on your George Bush action figure follow you around the room.
6. The cable company visits your home every day to make "free adjustments".
5. You're pretty sure that black helicopter hovering outside doesn't belong to your neighbor.
4. You somehow won a free home surveillance system.
3. The guy across the street seems to order a lot of van-deliver
ed pizza, flowers, cable repair, and plumbing.
2. The NSA's spy satellite located your house before the FBI and the CIA, which, according to the US Constitution, means they have dibs
1. That creepy little guy with the parabolic microphone who sits in the corner of your bedroom.
TOP TEN SIGNS YOUR HOME RENOVATION ISN’T WORKING OUT 7/23/14
10. It took you two days just to install the batteries on your cordless screwdriver.
9. The blueprints specified it as the "master bedroom" however it is still in that "sun deck" stage.
8. The rest of the house now matches the condition of your teenager's room.
7. You hear passers-by referring to your house as "Berlin circa 1946."
6. The load-bearing wall made out of Lego is starting to show signs of stress.
5. The garage door opens when you flush the toilet.
4. You're doing it yourself and your wife has her arms crossed and keeps giving you that 'squinty' face she always makes.
3. You have a map of the fastest route to the hospital tattooed on your back.
2. Your home has been declared "Water Slide National Park" after an attempt to retile the bathroom.
1. You cry yourself to sleep every night; on the couch.